Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Life is Musical

It's not as if Music is something new I've encountered, I have been listening to it since maybe 10 years- both English and Hindi. But one genre I refrained from actively pursuing was Rock- thanks to performances like Rock Nite, where the eardrums weren't comfortable but I headbanged nevertheless in the initial years, and stopped attending later. The bands chose the euphemism of 'Rock' for Heavy Metal. So it was not easily I got over the inertia, but now that I have, it feels as if a change has dawned in life- for the better. I had always listened to music, but was never addicted to it. Earlier journeys would have been facilitated with a novel, but now its headphones all the way. And the genre- Rock (not much Hard rock, still!)

The story of how I broke my inertia is memorable to me, and would like to keep it penned with me. When a dear neighbor with whom I wasn't on good talking terms played a song I took fancy to, I inferred it was by Beatles and began brute-force on Youtube, until I had taken a fancy to their music. And finally, when I came across 'Imagine' by John Lennon I was convinced for it being the song I was looking for, played it repeatedly and got mesmerized. It was only after I had listened to much more of Beatles' discography and many more songs from the Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 500, that I came across the suggestion "Sound of Silence" by Simon & Garfunkel given by Multani Mam in one of the tutorials of Intro to Lit. And then came the realization, this was the song and not Imagine. The realization wasn't harsh, for the wrong inference had brought a divine collection to me. And came again the phase of being mesmerized and figuring why I had loved the song so much, and wanted to find it so desperately. Since then, the list of my favorite songs has been expanding encompassing more genres of rock, and Metal to the slightest (the likes of Metallica). Folk rock such as by the likes of Simon & Garfunkel stands atop, but harder versions of rock have also dumbfounded me. Essentially my mood now revolves around the music I am listening to, and my misconception of Rock as something unpleasant to the ears has entirely vanished. I can slowly understand from where the perception amongst the lovers of 70's music of disliking contemporary music surfaces.

I always used to say (what I have also heard later many others say)- "I don't follow music by bands, just random discrete songs". Now that sounds naive to me, as there is just so much these bands have got to offer. The best of them is Psychedelic Rock, where I doesn't need to resort to alcohol to get that high feeling of transitioning into another world. Moreover I know the sort of music I gotta listen to whenever I do consume alcohol next time. I have also tried to infuse the culture into those, who cringe at the name of Rock like I did, and this is a list of 10 songs (in no specific order) I like very much, and I feel some of them are likable in the very first try:

1. Baba O' Riley (The Who)- (do try the part from 3:33 to 5:07)

2. The Sound of Silence (Simon & Garfunkel)

3. Imagine (John Lennon), Stand by Me (John Lennon version)

4. The Long and Winding Road (The Beatles), I Want You, Across the Universe

5. While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Eric Clapton version / The Beatles)

6. Black (Pearl Jam), Alive

7. Paint It, Black (The Rolling Stones)

8. Coming Back to Life (Pink Floyd), Comfortably Numb

9. Losing My Religion (R.E.M.)

10. Firth of Fifth (Genesis)


I have intentionally chosen not to mention immortal songs such as Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin), Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) and Nothing Else Matters (Metallica) in the list. Try these out, if you aren't a rock music fan already. Tell me if this could get you initiated into rock music, it isn't as hard as it's been made out by the metal performers. I would be glad to suggest more songs For others who like rock music, I am sure listening to them once again won't harm you.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Quotation of the Day